The UK's only surviving 18th Century cloth trading hall has re-opened after a £19m restoration and the ASBCI Board were priviledged to be invited to the opening ceremony which took place on Yorkshire Day, 1st August 2017.
This heralds a new era for the monumental Georgian structure – which was once the centre of the global woollen trade – as a contemporary leisure, retail, cultural and heritage destination and the beating heart of a world class cultural quarter.
The transformation has been made possible by funding from Calderdale Council, a generous £7 million grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund – thanks to National Lottery players – and kind support from the Garfield Weston Foundation and the Wolfson Foundation.
The 1779 Piece Hall's central courtyard has been levelled to create a new piazza with capacity for up to 7,500 people. It contains new lighting, seating and water features.
The structure that was once at the centre of a global woollen trade has had its stonework cleaned and renovated.
The original 315 units in the arcades (once used for storing and trading "pieces" of cloth) now contain new shops, cafes and offices.
Pictured: Chris Thierry, Master of The Worshipful Company of Woolmen, ASBCI Director and Student Committee Vice Chairman. Chris is Managing Director of UK Retail Connect, which offers support to companies seeking introductions to UK retailers or manufacturers, or those who want to learn more about UK retail operations or wish to gain access to the UK market.